Tuesday, April 6, 2010
Sweet Cas
Here is my sweet Castle who had a very rough week here. It all started with the sick kids, well just Austin and Chase I suppose. Chase woke up in the wee hours of Tuesday morning, 2:55 to be exact. Me and Stan were both in their with him, and then I heard Cas come out of our room and go outside. I went to get more meds for Chase in the kitchen, and Cas came in from outside with all the signs that he just had a seizure. No need to explain them, but after 21 of them, I can smell when he has had one let alone all the physical signs. So I had to get him all cleaned up while Stan worked with Chase. It takes Castle about an hour or two to finish his post seizure phase, where I have to follow him around and stay with him because they can get really hurt for many reasons. So at 430 or so I get back in bed. Still restless sleep because Castle couldn't sit still really. Then at 6 in the morning, I was awoken to the feeling of him having another seizure. He was curled up right next to my head when it happened. I screamed for Stan to help (last time he fell off our bed, bounced off his stepstool and then landed on the floor.) So this was a pretty bad one, and pretty close to the last one he had. This time I just stayed up for the day, not only did I have to follow him around again, but he had peed all over the sheets during it. Of course all the kids then start to wake up. Well long story short, at 11, he had his most violent seizure yet. Chase was napping and me and Austin were watching TV in the adjacent room. He fell over so violently that he sent the coupe car flying into the front door and scared me enough for me to go make sure he was okay. Obviously he was not, this was a very hard one for me to watch and try to calm him out of. I really thought this was going to be the one that took my buddy from me. It was so long and violent, and his eyes were just blank with nothing left. It did finally end and I immediately called a new vet and got him to an animal hospital. These cluster seizures are very commonly fatal to a dog, especially so close together where the post seizure phase is not complete before the next one begins. They immediately began meds with him and ordered all kinds of tests. Everything came back clean so he is being diagnosed with genetic epilepsy. The meds have been hard. He is super sleepy, droggy, nervous, anxious, skiddish, is unable to jump up on anything, can barely get in and out of his dog door without stumbling, is trying to eat everything in sight (hunger and thirst are major side effects). It continues to break my heart, but if I never see him go through a seizure again, everything will be okay. Here he is snoozing away on my pillow....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment